Friday, May 12, 2006




















Ok, So I was out to cover Earth, Wind & Fire yesterday evening. I get to the venue, was issued my press pass, and then proceeded to get my gear checked by security. Now, either guy checking the gear was either new on the job or was just over enthusiastic, I'm yet to find out. However, here's how the conversation panned out:

Security: (In a thick African Accent) "Open you bag, please"
Moi: "Ok. Here you go" (open the gear bag)
Security: "What are these things?"
Moi: "My camera gear for tonight's gig. Here's my Photographer's pass."
Security: (Taking a look at the lenses) "So, what are these?"
Moi: "They are interchangeable lenses for my camera."
Security: "But what are they for?"
Moi: "What are they for?? I've just said: they are lenses for my camera body.."
Security: "So, are you a professional?"
Moi: "Dude, I have a press pass and a 35mm Camera for a job tonight. What more do you want?"
Security: "I'm not too sure about this.."
Moi: "Dude, here's the thing: I have a pass to cover tonight's show If you're not convinced, let me speak to your supervisor."
Security: "I am the supervisor!" (By this time, a line is forming up behind me to have their bags checked) "Anyway, quickly pack your back and move along!"
Moi: "Dude, don't rush me. Do you have any idea how much gear costs??"

Suffice to say, I finally did get to cover the gig, hence the above shot. A quick epilogue to this, though: Sometimes, you can just pick up on what part of Africa certain people are from, so I went back to the security who had earlier given me palaver. Turns out that we both speak the same dialect and he's from a town not far from where my folks are from.

Shakara Oloje!! I'm going to write up about securtiy at venues and as part of entourages very soon......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home